Monday, May 5, 2014

Here I Go Again...

What strange new place have I ended up in?

Surely someone or something has cursed me. Whoever or whatever is out there wants me dead. I should have known the month of peace, of normalcy, would have been stripped from me.
I woke up mid afternoon- or was it late morning?- covered in sweat from the heat. The discomfort of being hot and sweaty was soon forgotten as I realized I wasn’t in my bed. With a jerk, I sat up. From what I could tell, I was in a large, metal bowl. The sun was high and was relentless with the heat it radiated.
Once more I had been taken from my home and left for dead. Again I was missing things. My draconic ring and circlet weren’t on my person. I could feel the weight of my wings on my back. My skin looked so white against the basin of the bowl. How long my hair was getting. My vision was impeded for my bangs were falling into my eyes. I could also feel the strands of hair brushing against my jaw line and lower neck.
Despite not having my circlet to disguise myself, nor my ring that healed and protected me, I still had my halberd, my mithril shirt, and one of the daggers. Why wouldn’t the person who did this have taken both daggers? I thought to myself. There was another curious matter; I had my haversack and my old tunic back. Oh that tunic! What sick joke was Heironious playing? I was delighted to have had that outfit destroyed months ago. Now I felt iconic once more in my champion outfit I wore for Him.
As I hugged my knees, trying not to think about what was currently at hand, I did notice how worn my outfit was. It was as though someone had recovered my tunic from the acidic water in Rehm’s well. It was rough and frayed thin in areas. Why did that matter though? It just meant less cloth on my hot skin. How sorely tempted I was to rip the leotard I was wearing under my tunic from my body.
I hated my situation. I kept asking myself why I was letting it get to me. It must have been the heat. It wasn’t like I hadn’t experienced that before. Surely I’d be able to find my home again. I’ve been successful in doing so all those past times.
In an attempt to soothe my nerves and clear my mind, I squeezed the small stone embedded in my hand. That was the one comfort I had. The one thing that kept the crippling fear of being alone from setting in. I had Gemmel. He was only a short stone toss away. If I truly needed help, he would come. There was also Isaac. I figured he was hiding somewhere near by and would pop up at any moment... actually, it concerned me that I was taken and Isaac hadn’t done anything about it. Or was he destroyed? Would a ghost know where to find me if I was taken secretly?
I shook my head trying not to worry about Isaac too much. It didn’t matter, I still had Gemmel.
A small laugh just escaped me because despite knowing I could rely on Gemmel for help, I couldn’t stop becoming pessimistic. Seeing that there were other folk stirring in the metal bowl, I glared at them. Surely they were just as unfortunate as myself to be where we were, but I couldn’t help but hate them at first. Maybe it was because I wanted to be alone to brood- yet wouldn’t that have been worse? If those people were like me, taken from their homes by force, how fortunate I was to have them. All of us kidnapped, tortured, and left there to die. Surely allies with a common cause; to get home and possibly even to exact revenge on the person who placed us there.
However, my eyes were drawn to a dark shape on their skin. They looked the same, but something was distinct about each one of them as to make them different. A dread overcame me for surely those were the mark of Heironious and Erythnul. Here I was in the midst of them, alone!
“Isaac?” I decided to call out. It was barely whispered. My mouth was dry. I needed water.
“Right, which one of you thavali put snakes on me? Own up now, and I might not kill you!” a blue giant roared. I jerked my head toward him and was grateful there was a dead polar bear between us. I felt my chest seize up as fear coursed through me. Surely the man was angry, but his whole composure did not register as an ally in the making. I desperately wanted to run, but I didn’t want to risk being pursued. So I held my tongue, not daring to speak.
About as sudden as the giant had spoken, something else happened. Some of the bodies around us began to convulse. Three of them erupted into black beasts that had tentacles flailing about. I was paralyzed as I watched the monstrosities form. Were the marked beings turning into these hideous creatures? I thought.
“In Justice’s name I will slay thee!” a thunderous cry rang out. A fully armoured person just beyond the giant, charged one of the creatures near him. I heard his sword hit, but due to the polar bear couldn’t tell how successful his hit was.
The giant quickly followed suit. He let out a cry of anger and grew. It was impressive and yet had me wondering if he was to be trusted.
The creature closest to me began to squirm away. I saw it going after some other dark being who fled. Part of me wanted to not do anything, but I felt I should help; from a distance. I shot a fire bolt at the creature that moved away from me. The bolt hit and it appeared to really harm the creature. Not only did I harm it, but it changed course and began to come back toward me.
As he charged in my direction, I heard someone yell out, “Don’t use lightning!” For a moment I felt smart for having used fire versus electricity.
I scrambled to my feet as fast as I could, but not fast enough. The monster lashed out and hit me with one of it’s tentacles. Chills rushed through my body. I knew the creature had used a spell to deliver that chill. If I thought I was already tense, my body tightened more as it shook off the cold. My halberd and armor suddenly had a heaviness to them. I shook my head to clear my mind from the intense pain I felt. The creatures were much stronger than I though for I felt incredibly weak after one hit. Knowing how strong my mithril shirt was, it was unnerving how hard that creature hit me.
What was most unsettling was how unstable the monster began to look. It seemed crazed or like it was about to erupt. Not willing to let it kill me, I stood up, gript my halberd and charged a fire bolt on it. I then swung with all my might releasing only the fire bolt since that appeared to be most effective. The shocking grasp could wait for later.
My hit was true. The creature burned and did something rather familiar. It exploded upon my hit. In the last moment I remember of that creature was a blast of frost hitting me before the darkness took over.
Something seemed to call out to me, in a haunting manner. Perhaps it was just a dream. It must have been, for a shadowy figure formed. I felt it grab at me and pull me up. I was certain something awful was about to happen. My limbs were useless as I tried to will them to fight back. A dread overcame me as I remained helpless to this unknown figure.
Whatever was suppose to happen, didn’t for light pierced the dream as my eyes fluttered open. I still felt weak and some pain lingered from the attack I took.
My eyes quickly registered the blue giant above me as well as an old gnome, some dark skinned elf (that at the time I didn’t realize was a Drow), a female with white hair, and a heavily armored person. Alarmed as these marked beings hovering over me, I jerked to a sitting and scooted away from them.
“I didn’t mark you!” I exclaimed. Surely they thought I was the cause. Why else would they be surrounding me? Let alone, why wasn’t I in the metal bowl, I wondered.
“Then who did?” the armored man asked.
“I don’t know,” I automatically said. I knew who had done it. Erythnul and Heironious or one of their goonies got them. “When did we get out of the bowl?” I asked.
“Just now, before one of those monsters erupted in a massive lightning bolt,” the giant explained.
Suddenly the blue giant (actually he’s a Goliath, thankfully I didn’t call him a giant to his face) and the armored man began to bicker with each other. Supposedly the armored man had attacked the Goliath during combat... or the Goliath got in his way. It was hard to follow for pain suddenly shot through my back.
I cried out for a moment before stifling my anguish. Something had pierce my back between my wings. I reached behind to feel what had attacked me but felt an odd, slick, and slightly gritty patch of skin. I furrowed my brow confused. When I looked at my hand, nothing was on it.
“What’s wrong with you?” the Goliath demanded.
“I- uh, m-my back hurt suddenly. I- I don’t know-”
“Turn around,” he barked. I quickly complied, feeling uneasy under the Goliath’s scrutiny.
“Nothing there but the mark,” I heard him say.
“What?” I hoarsely spoke. I slowly looked at him.
“Your back bares the same mark we all have,” he repeated gesturing to the others. I gaped out of astonishment. My vision blurred as my breath became shallow. It had to be a lie, but why would he lie? His whole demeanor suggested he was an honest person. I wanted to cry. Had I failed? Was Heinul’s ultimate goal finally accomplished by branding their mark upon me? How had this happened!? How was it Isaac didn’t prevent this!?
I was livid. I was discouraged. It just seemed unfair. I had taken great steps to try and sever my involvement with destroying the God heads. Why were they so intent upon my destruction?
Looking around as I seethed in my skin, I could see the mark upon each of them. The right forearm of the Goliath and weaving around the Gnome’s neck (his beard giving it some concealment). Interestingly enough, on the other three, I could see the mark... glowing? Despite the armor and clothing they wore, the darkness that the mark emanated, pierced through. The armored man had his mark on his right shoulder, the dark elf above his navel, and the other female had her’s on her back like myself.
As I observed the placement of their marks, I caught word of them speaking of the area we were in. Helmridge Mountains, Kutur Pass, Baronies of the Goldtide, Athvala? It certainly wasn’t France we were in and I was most certain it wasn’t the Kingdom of Men either. It could be the Gnomish Kingdom, but it seemed more likely the Elven or Dwarven Kingdoms, or quite possibly some other continent I forgot about.
“Wait, where are we? What continent is this?” I asked.
“Goodness, did you lose your memory as well?” the Goliath asked. I had to wonder if he thought I was daft. Clearly there was something I was missing.
“Well, it’s late afternoon. We’re clearly in the arid part of Athvala. If we stay here, it will get very cold. I suggest we head toward the mountains and make camp there,” the Goliath suggested.
“I concur,” The armored man grunted in agreement. He then began to lead the way toward the mountains.
“Could we not be in the hills at night? Especially with no sort of encampment,” the dark Elf mentioned.
“It’d be better than this arid wasteland,” the armored man replied.
“And in the hills we can find cover,” the Goliath added.
“Yes, but we could also find Dwarves and therefore susceptible to Dwarf attacks,” the dark elf persisted. I thought it rather presumptuous of him to think Dwarves would attack us out right. Then again, if they are knowing of the mark like I was in my frst life, perhaps. But that was quite doubtful knowing how uneducated folk were of the mark since my return.
“Dwarves are good people,” the Goliath said.
“Whatever,” the elf muttered. I followed after the group as they headed toward the mountains. I was marked and felt my chances at surviving might be best with them. Also, they hadn’t tried to murder me, so clearly they were better company than some folk I’ve ran into in the past.
As we walked, my bare feet hurting from the dry grass we walked upon, I attempted to fly. After a few flaps, my feel landed hard on the ground. I was able to keep up right, but I was definitely not expecting to land so suddenly.
“What are you?” I heard the Elf ask, “I don’t know of many races with wings in this.. ‘up’ part of the world.”
“I was- er, rather still am, an Angelic-” I began before being interrupted.
“You said was,” the armored man had cut in. The whole party came to a stop, eyeing me suspiciously.
“Well, you look like hell, did it hurt when you fell from heaven babe?” the Elf flirted. I scowled at him.
“It did actually.”
People continued to press on, dropping the topic of who I was. Part of me was thankful since I didn’t want to explain.
As the evening turned into twilight, we found a little nook in the hills as the base of the mountain. As the others began to putter around setting up camp, I took a moment to look through my haversack. I was surprised to find my tent and bedroll in there as well as two of my three bags of tricks. I also found rope, rations, and soap. I looked at the soap. There was a lot. Whoever packed my bag must have thought I needed it...
The rations had mostly gone bad. I had about 2 days worth that were edible. From the looks of the others, they had a similar problem. The Goliath and the Elf went off hunting while I pitched my tent. We all kept to ourself for the most part, but seeing how large my tent was, I felt I should offer it to the female and the gnome.
The Goliath and Elf returned from their unsuccessful hunt. We all ended up sitting around the campfire, trying to keep warm as the night air became cold. I saw the Elf pull out a shovel and began to dig a line, muttering more about Dwarves and how awful they were. I thought about trying to summon a badger for him, but figured I wouldn’t encourage his paranoia of the race.
As we sat around the fire, I figured it was time I learned names. A pondered for a moment if I wanted to trust them with mine. It would be a test to see if any of them recognized my name. If I was lucky, they wouldn’t.
“My name’s Araja by the way,” I blurted. Heads turned toward me, some giving an acknowledging nod, “I figure if we’re going to be traveling together then we ought to introduce ourselves.”
“I’m Trickfoot,” the old Gnome said.
“I’ll tell you my name after you pass the Drow test which is surviving one day in our company,” the Drow replied. My eyes narrowed a little. I remembered the Asterial Drow that almost tricked me and my fellow comrades at the time to go with them. Apparently they were nothing but a band of slave traders. This Drow looked somewhat different and had an arrogance about him.
“Speaking of which,” the Drow continued, “Greetings denizens of the above lands. I am your new subterranean Master. You’re all pretty cool so far, but you’re now technically property of I, Bal Vyr.”
So much for not giving us his first name, I thought.
“By what right do you rule me?” the armored man asked.
“Are you trying to enslave a Goliath!?” the Goliath asked menacingly.
“The Drow are a master race and therefore due to that hierarchy I am at the top and you are to serve me,” he replied matter-of-factly. He pulled out a sheet of paper. I didn’t get a chance to see it before the armored man took it from him and ripped it. The Goliath walked over and grabbed Bal Vyr by the shoulders, thrusting him against the rock wall that encompassed us.
“No one enslaves a Goliath!” he roared.
“I didn’t say enslaved!” Bal Vyr retorted, “everyone else who isn’t a Drow is considered a slave in Drow society.”
I shook my head slightly. How was it a normal introduction got so carried away? I suppose it was good to know the kind of character the Drow was. Perhaps the Goliath and armored man would deal with him. They bickered back and forth trying to convince the Drow he wasn’t in his society any more and that slavery was unjust. The Goliath was set on making it known he wouldn’t be enslaved.
Things began to cool down somewhat as the Goliath asked the armored man, calling him a crusader, how to justly go about dealing with the Drow. The crusader thought for a moment.
“Since he’s not from our lands, he has the right to learn. He is clearly ignorant of our customs. He must be taught,” the crusader reasoned.
“Great. I’ll be sure to teach him,” the Goliath said. Then he looked the Drow squarely in the eyes, “And we’ll start with this. When someone misbehaves in camp, they sleep outside for the night!” The Goliath then threw the Drow well beyond the encampment boundaries. The Drow retorted something about how his kind don’t sleep.
I stifled a smile. Something about those two made me feel safe.
“Crusader, what do they call you by?” the Goliath asked.
“Grendel. And you?”
“A’aluke Cloudbreaker.”
They passed some more words between each other, both seeming to know of the other’s group of people. Cloudbreaker then returned to the fire while Grendel went out to he Drow. 
Once Grendel returned, watch orders were made. all the males taking turns. We then went to bed, the female, Trickfoot, and Grendel sharing my tent. Maybe it will prove to be foolish to welcome these strangers so soon into my space, but then again, I know I needed to do my part to be open if I wanted these folk to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment