Wednesday, May 21, 2014

False Alarm

False Alarm

Was awoken for a raccoon earlier this night. Trickfoot had set an alarm spell up during his watch so he could sleep more. Part of me would like to be annoyed but then again, better to be awoken than to sleep through a possible attack.
After that mini fiasco, those sharing my tent, and as myself, were suddenly awoken a short time later by Cloudbreaker crashing into my tent. He had caught the raccoon that tripped the alarm spell earlier... so I’m awake write due to my sleep being interrupted a few too many times.
Other than that bit of excitement, it’s suffice to say we made it a safe distance from the town we happened across yesterday. The sun was rising and everyone (but me) were weary from being cramped in the boat or having swam along side it. Once everyone was off the boat, I heard the Drow make a comment about low moral and wanted to improve it by pulling an ‘Angel’ out of his bag. I climbed out, shaking my head at the thought that I’d be of any joy to these people. What good have I done for them? For what they know, I’m just a troubled girl who’s completely clueless of her where abouts.
Cloudbreaker made breakfast. He had caught some fish and whipped out a large metal pot that he fitted over a fire. It was decent food and kind of him to share. It was hard not to want to keep close to  him in the sense that I felt he provided protection. I definitely felt some security with him close by.
Grendel on the other hand continued to brood. I had no words for him and if I had, I doubt they’d brighten his sour mood. I said everything I had to say to him kast night that could possibly sway him to be compassionate toward that town. But no, he couldn’t see the good in it. No. He was too set on this Justice of his and upholding it despite reason. So I kept my distance from him.
I did take a moment to clean my face, hands and feet at the riverside with the soap I had.
We travelled all day, nothing exciting happening. Actually, now that I think about it, Cloudbreaker did disclose with us what had happened about the child he had killed. We had finished setting up camp when he began to talk to Grendel. The Crusader then demanded to know about the murdered child when Cloudbreaker asked him why he wasn’t letting go of last night’s events.
With a heavy heart I listened. How much I could relate. Luckily for the Goliath, that was his only incident... I knew he felt terrible. It was evident in his voice, posture, and eyes. Cloudbreaker then stepped back and leaned against a tree for support, folding his arms over his chest. He looked toward Lash, Trickfoot, and me before concluding, “I haven’t forgiven myself of that incident, nor do I plan to. I would hope that you won’t judge me on that, but rather on what I do now.”
Those words rang familiar in my ears. Raæin and Gemmel had told me that on separate occasions. Focus on the present and the intentions then.
“Now Grendel,” Bal Vyr said a few moments later, particularly due to the crusaders stern and unchanged demeanor, “I want to make it clear that if you make this party your enemy, I will end you!” I was impressed with Bal Vyr’s directness. It also added to my sense of security seeing that he was so willing to defend the rest of us. In fact, as brash and somewhat obnoxious Bal Vyr has been in the short time I’ve been with him, he wasn’t the evil Drow I thought he’d be.
Grendel made no remark to Bal Vyr’s declaration toward him. And so, everyone went back to doing their own things. I took that moment to walked over to Cloudbreaker. By this time the Goliath had covered himself up with a blanket.
“Cloudbreaker?” I said softly. I had almost reached out to tap his shoulder when he shifted so he could see me.
“Yes?” his deep voice asked.
“For what it’s worth, I don’t judge you. You and I share a similar burden, so I understand where you’re coming from,” I informed him. Thankfully Cloudbreaker didn’t press on about what my story was. Instead his eyes were still haunted by that memory he shared.
“Thank you,” his deep and forlorned voice began, “Thank you for your honesty Araja.”
And those were the words I first fell asleep to in my head. Now let us see if I can finish the rest of the night’s sleep without any further interruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment