Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 14: Beetles and an Ogre Lead to Wealth.

Previous Entry

Dwa 25th, 4288: 14 Days in the mortal realm


The travel has been rather uneventful. That is until yesterday and today. Before that, there was one encounter with some fire beetles. Cortanna made an attempt to calm them, but they were pretty intent on harming us. So we defended ourselves, leaving some beetle corpses behind.
As for yesterday we encounter an ogre. I wish I had known better when we first met up with him. I was cautious at first, but his friendly demeanor and offering of his food lured me into a false sense of security. We chatted with him and he disclosed with us about how his town of ogre’s had fallen into a sinkhole. The sinkhole was large and filled was with their treasure and a few relics. It was a little North of where we were.
I was almost beginning to pity the... guy? I did find it odd that he told us so much, especially when he brought up the treasure, but it was all a ruse. The meat some of us ate was had to have been bad since I, Cortanna, and Jessica became nauseous. The ogre attempted to take advantage of that and attacked us. He, however, miscalculated. Isaac, Billy, and Rekka were very much able to fight still. Because of that miscalculation, the ogre was destroyed. A feeling crept up in me that perhaps we were killing too much. Especially after what happened with the goblins... I don't know. Maybe I was still in shock from that incident. Considering the ogre was trying to harm us, I rationalized that that was the best course of action. During that fight I also realized my halberd could store a spell, making it more lethal when I want it to be.
Once those of us who were nauseous, felt better, we continued a little further on. In the short distance we traveled we came across a wagon that was well battered. There were bits and pieces of bodies here and there, but no evidence of anyone surviving. Jessica was certain it was a bear attack. Whatever it was, this was a noble person's wagon by the symbols and items we found inside it. We decided to rest there for the night, setting up a watch just in case the bear came back.
When I woke up earlier today, I saw Isaac and Billy returning. Billy’s clothes looking rather torn and tattered. Isaac informed us that the bear was dealt with. He also told us that they found the sinkhole with the cool sword and helmet relics the Ogre had mentioned. Isaac told us the sword was a wishing sword. I suggest that each of us should get a wish... though that would leave one of us out since there was only 4 that Isaac knew of. I figured the wishes would be good in case of an emergency. The helmet on the other hand was given to Billy to wear. The magic of that item was to make the wearer look extra scary. If I hadn’t known it was Billy, I would have gone running for the hills.
Isaac reminded us about the wealth he saw down there. We decided to take the wagon and go to the sinkhole. Once there, I had Rekka and Jessica hop into a bag of holding so I could glide them down with me to fill it up. The others could then hoist it up and load the wagon up with the riches. This was an easy task. It got weird once the rope they were using to lift the bag up and down came back down without the bag. I looked up and could make out someone flailing their arms about, but it was too far for me to make out what they were trying to say. I grabbed onto the rope, tugged it twice and hung on for a ride up.
The ride lasted about 30 feet when suddenly the rope went slack and I realized I was falling. Quickly I stretched my wings. I had new feathers coming in, just enough that I was able to glide to the bottom. The 100 feet of rope coiled down to the ground next to us. Unable to communicate now, I knew I would be the better choice for climbing out. If I fell, I wouldn't get hurt, while Rekka and Jessica would likely kill themselves if they faltered near the top.
It turned out I wasn’t a very good climber anyways. After many attempts, I finally was about half way to the top when I saw another rope fall down. I grabbed onto it and finished the rest of the climb. Apparently the wagon was full and that was why they sent the rope down empty. Once more I hopped over the edge of the sinkhole to glide back down and help the other two out.
We all worked together to move the cart along. Kind of a silly idea that we decided to keep the wagon since we have no horse, but I that’s something we can fix once we get to Sardik’s Dukedom. Anyways, ‘tis the end of another day. Good night.
Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment