Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 205: Oh Hi John...

Coqoj 31th, 4288: 205 Days in the Mortal Realm

This morning Isaac and I met the real ‘Timmy.’ His name is John. He was shocked to find himself strapped in at the helm of the ornithopter. He looked at us with and looked quite confused by our presence.
“Who’s flying this thing!?” he asked.
“You are?” I responded, confused myself.
“What!? I can’t fly this!” Immediately, who I thought at the time was Timmy, began to struggle to get out of the restraints. “Is this some sick joke?” he muttered in his struggle. I wondered if this was why Carl warned us to get him when Timmy woke up.
“Carl,” I called down the stairs, “Timmy’s awake.”
“Who’s Timmy,” Timmy snapped. I heard footsteps running up the stairs. Carl walked through the door with a glass of clear liquid in hand. I had assumed it was water at first.
“Oh, thank goodness you’re here Carl. Get me out of this,” Timmy demanded.
“Good morning to you John,” Carl gave me a look that suggested I should go with it, “Here, drink this,” Carl instructed holding out the cup.
“It ain’t alcohol is it? I hate that stuff,” John said. A short snort escaped my lips. Carl gave me a sharp look.
“No, it’s water,” Carl told him. John without further encouragement took the glass and took a quick swig. He sputtered suddenly.
“This <gag> isn’t <spit> ...wada. Who’d eva wan wada?” John slurred. He then finished the glass of alcohol and asked for another. Carl handed him another glass that I hadn’t noticed in his hand. Once John was done with his second glass, Carl took the cups back downstairs.
“I gawing to talk hid hin,” Isaac told me before following Carl downstairs.
“So, where ecthactly er we goin’?” John asked.
“To the Wetland Jungles.” John pressed a button that had was clearly labeled ‘map’. A large map appeared to which John began to use some mapping instruments.
“Ah!” John exclaimed, “We ah heerah,” he then pointed to a spot on in the middle of the ocean. I imagined we had roughly 5 more days before we reached the southern part of France.
“And this is where we’re going John,” I said, pointing to the Wetland Jungles.
“Whoa. Who’s John?” John said. I looked confused at him, “Anyways, tha’d be... oh, five er sefen days til ve get dere.”
I heard Isaac breathing behind me. I jumped a little from the surprise of him being there. He told me slowly that Carl said John was Timmy’s true name. When he’s sober, he could remember his name was John. Yet when sober, John is a terrible pilot and we’ll all end up dying. When drunk, he believed his name was Timmy and for some reason was the best ornithopter pilot alive.
And so it was, Carl made sure to keep Timmy drunk so John wouldn’t come around and potentially send us hurtling down in a ball of fire. The rest of the day’s flight went smoothly. Right now we’re currently floating in the depths of the ocean, but that’s nothing to be alarmed about. It scared me at first when Timmy suddenly announced that for the night we were going to save fuel by letting the ornithopter land. As I looked out the window, all one could see was water. I was about to question how when he pressed a button and the wings immediately folded up, the ornithopter then free falling.
I stretched my wings out in response to the sudden falling sensation. When we hit the water, we seamlessly merged with it. Part of me wonders if we’re still falling. Once satisfied that the ornithopter was secure in it’s watery bed, Timmy promptly fell asleep.
For a time I just laid on my back admiring the sea life swimming about the dome. The one time I turned into a mermaid, back in Nulb when Isaac and I. as well as our other party members, destroyed the Temple of Elemental Evil, it was quite exciting. Breathing under water was such a strange sensation and it felt liberating not being constrained by how long one could hold their breath.
I must say, this time being lost, despite the excitement as a lizard, has been nice. An excellent time for reflection. I’m actually beginning to reconsider my initial thought of saying goodbye to Raæin. Perhaps I ought to keep with him, but more in the sense that he’s a strong friend. If I need to help someone, he’s a great ally to have if I can’t do it alone. I mostly wanting to emulate what Gemmel was for me. A strong figure who knew what he believed in, what he stood for, and had the capability, or knew of those who had the capability, to help people in need. I hope to have the wisdom like him one day to discern those in true need over those who would try to take advantage of my kindness.

If anything, the main thing I plan on not doing is actively seeking out the evil. Struggle will always happen. What I want to focus on is finding peace, finding joy, and finding fulfillment. If the evil comes to me, I’ll deal with it then. I suppose in the mean time, I’m turning a blind eye to what I’m fairly convinced is pure evil taking place in the heavens.

No comments:

Post a Comment