Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Day 192: A Rude Awakening


Coqoj 18th, 4288: 192 Days in the Mortal Realm


This morning gave me such a start! I nearly had a heart attack as I woke to something shaking me. The large paws with hooked claws poking out were pressing on my hip and shoulder. I peeked out of the corner of my eye wondering who was waking me up. When I saw the face of an owl bear looking at me, I had half the mind to light it up with a fireball. If it hadn’t tried to kill me first, then I would put the first hit in.
The owl bear seemed to see my alarm and backed up some. I began to charge a fireball in my hand when the owl bear did something even more strange.
“Roa!” the owl bear said, “Mmmee. I vak.” The beast placed his arms in front of him to show his submissiveness, very much like what a person would. I looked once more into the amber eyes of the owl bear.
“Isaac?” I asked. The owl bear nodded his head. I gaped at him and let the small charge of fire I made hit him. He growled at me a little, but no serious harm was done.
"I'm an ow air!" he growled.
"Congratulations," I said sarcastically. I could tell he was enjoying himself and his new abilities, but with the rude awakening, I was feeling a bit bitter, “Way to scare the daylights out of me,” I vented. He didn’t seem to care. He was having fun dancing around in the owl bear body. “So how long do you plan on being an owl bear?”
“I dote no. I kieda like eeing an ow air,” Isaac said. It was a bit difficult to understand him, but for someone possessing a creature that doesn’t naturally talk, he was doing a decent job. “I zaw ‘im talking oo an hoezezt ‘im,” Isaac barely got out. I processed what he said and gratitude came to me as I realized Isaac saved my life. Whatever bitterness I felt toward him for waking me up so abruptly was gone. I also made a mental note to sleep with one eye open in the future.
“Thank you Isaac,” I said, hoping it came across sincere (for it was). After Isaac’s comment that I was mean, I had to wonder if my tone and body language contradicted what I felt. Isaac looked thoroughly pleased with himself as he danced a little, flapping his feathery arms.
We continued toward the coast the rest of today. I flew up a few times to see if I could spot the coast line, but was disappointed to not see it. I don’t know how much longer we’ll be traveling, but hopefully nothing beyond our abilities to handle come our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment